I am sure some people are trying damned hard to find something positive about this whole quarantine thing, and the restrictions that are easing up. Every day is a source of tension in some form or another.

But I had to remember something for our kiddos out there, trying to do schoolwork at home and learning over video (when possible): there’s no time for the STAAR test.

No time for that obscene, soul-sucking, anxiety-inducing, nausea-forming, time-wasting, parent-and-teacher-crazymaking test.

No time for kids to be pulled away from some project or interesting thing they’ve gotta work on so they can do some drill sheets to ensure they do the bubble sheet thing right, or answer the questions the way the test will likely ask them.

No teacher training days wasted on testing procedures… for the umpteenth time.

No days wasted waiting on the results of a test to determine if you go to the next grade or not (and frantic days trying to determine if junior needs to go to summer school or not).

Nope–just accountability with the teacher and the school. Maybe the district, too. The way it should be.

Of course, the numbers of “passing” and “failing” students are fiddled with, anyway, because of the state test’s leverage. Even if high school students don’t pass their end of course exams. To me, that would be more important than the state test score.

I wonder how things will go (but have very little info so far) regarding students passing into the next grade.

Maybe this will be a crucial part of what gets us rid of the damned standardized testing crap we all have to deal with every year. No teacher I’ve ever met has liked it. No students like it. No parents like it. Just textbook writers and test creators like it.

I just wonder what the districts are going to do–and the schools themselves–to determine students pass or fail rates. Is it going to be just their school work and final exams? It’s been a while since I’ve talked to kiddos about what they’re doing, so I don’t have much info yet on my end. Definitely need to research.

At least it’s one less thing on their already full plates–students, teachers, and parents alike.

Would be nice if standardized testing went away forever after this…mmm… That crap is why school is so boring most of the time.

teacher studying GIF

***

Well, that’s one positive thing I’ve found about the Coronavirus disruption. Anything positive you’ve seen come out? Floor’s yours…

9 thoughts on “One Positive Takeaway from the Coronavirus “Disruption”: No more Texas standardized testing bullshit this school year.

• TheChattyIntrovert says:

I know–more people out and about and I don’t like it. I dropped off some gloves for a co-worker to use tomorrow (since we’re doing a slow open for half the business–just the front office appointments), but I’m about to head to the internet to buy some more. If I think I’m running out, or can’t wear my bandanna as a mask for the clients and kiddos, then I’m not working. Period. And I’m avoiding some places closer to my house because some people are acting like this whole thing is over. I don’t care if I look silly in my gloves and bandannas. I’m going to protect myself and others the best way I can. Hell, I have a pretty wicked headache right now (just got over a gallbladder attack so it might be part of that), but if it persists, I’m calling in sick and not going in on Tuesday, per the rules.

• Ray Laskowitz says:

I suspect that there will be huge surges will follow every opening. Luckily, our mayor, who I’ve not been a fan of, has risen to the occasion. She organized three other parishes and we are all working together.

If you are feeling sick, stay home. Aside from company regs, you are compromised.

Stay safe.

Liked by 1 person

1. Suze says:

I took the standardized tests when my son was in high school. I was part of a ‘test the test” group of concerned parents…we were dismayed that an entire fall session of classes were changed to include one hour per day on how to “pass this test”….. now, I had (at that time) two associates degrees, two bachelor’s degrees and was working on my master’s dissertation……not too stupid, if I say so myself. I FLUNKED THAT TEST. Scored 27%……not a single person on our group passed…and the college physics professor in our group scored 13%. Regardless, Texas decided to go ahead with these tests..no kid could graduate without taking it and passing. I ended up home schooling my son,m who went on the Annapolis and was in the top 10% of his class. Seems Texas hasn’t changed since we were stuck there.

Liked by 1 person

• TheChattyIntrovert says:

I hate the lie regarding the test, that teachers don’t “teach to the test”. That’s total b.s., because if you don’t spend time on the proper bubble-sheet techniques, drills, finding the “best” answer at times, etc. and the kids fail, you’ve failed them as a teacher, even if you went above and beyond to teach everything and the kids passed your class with flying colors. The tests align to the textbooks, which should be a guide and not an absolute in many classes (especially history and geography, where things are always changing).
      That was always my biggest worry in teaching school–teaching beyond the test and the kids fail the test. That’s why I threw up my hands and said “screw it, I’d rather do tutoring”

• Suze says:

hun, 39 years ago teaching the test was exactly what the class was called. and it wasn’t about just showing how to fill in the answer sheets. we had a major lawsuit to stop the practice…and WON. they did indeed change how the kids were taught, so very glad that you came into it later on. kudoes to us, they also changed the wording of the tests so they actually made sense and followed the curricula.

Liked by 1 person

2. Rae Reads says:

HOORAY for doing away with standardized testing. My public school career ended in 1984, just before the testing started, and believe me I knew which of my 6th graders were ready for junior high and which weren’t, at least in the language arts skills.
    I have found the outdoors as the result of this pandemic. My yard has never looked so blooming beautiful, and sitting in a lawn chair outside the back door, feeling the breeze between the house and the detached garage is a pleasure I’d completely forgotten about.
    I am going to wear my mask as long as the corona virus is still newsworthy. Some people just don’t have good sense!

Liked by 1 person

Penny for your thoughts? We'll listen...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s